Students will be able to
- recognize that a diode is a circuit component that only allows current in one direction through it,
- recognize and draw the circuit symbol for a diode,
- identify where there will or will not be a current in a circuit due to the action of diodes in the circuit,
- recognize the current–potential difference characteristics of a diode from a graph of current against potential difference.
Students should already be familiar with
- potential difference,
- ohmic resistors,
- the symbols for basic circuit components: a cell, a battery, a bulb, a resistor
Students will not cover
- how semiconductor-based diodes work,
- how other kinds of diodes work,
- rectification of ac using diodes.