Students will be able to
- recall the definition of the atomic mass of elements,
- recall how to calculate the formula mass of a compound,
- identify the relevant mathematical formula for expressing the mass of a component as a percentage of the total mass,
- calculate the percentage composition of a compound based on its elemental masses,
- calculate the percentage by mass of a compound within a substance.
Students should already be familiar with
- formula mass,
- chemical formulas.
Students will not cover
- reaction masses.