Students will be able to
- state the general formula of monosaccharides as ,
- recall the classification of carbohydrates into simple sugars (mono- and disaccharides) and complex sugars (polysaccharides),
- describe the alpha and beta structures of glucose and its properties as a hexose sugar,
- outline the synthesis and breakdown of disaccharides including maltose, sucrose, and lactose,
- describe the structure and function of glucose, starch, glycogen, and cellulose,
- explain the role of monosaccharides in the processes of transferring energy inside the cells of living organisms.