Students will be able to
- recognize the relationship between the roots of a quadratic equation and its coefficients,
- identify the sum and product of the roots using the formulae and , respectively, for a quadratic equation ,
- form a quadratic equation given its roots, including when the roots are integers, rational numbers, real numbers, and complex numbers, and solve related problems.
Students should already be familiar with
- how to find the roots of quadratic equations, including the quadratic formula,
- complex roots of quadratic equations.
Students will not cover
- roots of higher-order functions,
- forming a quadratic equation given the roots of another quadratic equation,
- nonconjugate complex roots.