Students will be able to
- define what makes a measurement accurate or inaccurate,
- define what makes a set of measurements precise or imprecise,
- compare random errors and systematic errors in terms of their effect on measurement accuracy and precision,
- define zero errors and describe their effect on measurement accuracy and precision,
- explain the usefulness of repeated measurements.
Students should already be familiar with
- measured quantities and units.
Students will not cover
- the operation of specific measuring devices,
- the quantitative treatment of uncertainties.