Students will be able to
- derive and recall the formula for the area of a regular -sided polygon with side length : (note that this is equivalent to ),
- calculate areas of -sided polygons given a side length or perimeter,
- calculate side lengths and perimeters of regular polygons given their areas and number of sides,
- calculate areas of compound shapes that are formed of regular polygons and other shapes.
Students should already be familiar with
- right triangle trigonometry,
- how to calculate the areas of triangles and various quadrilaterals (trapezoids, parallelograms, etc).
Students will not cover
- areas of irregular -sided polygons.