Students will be able to
- identify from straight-line displacement–time graphs what the speed of an object at a particular instant in time is (as opposed to over a time range),
- correctly identify tangents to curves on displacement–time graphs,
- use tangents to curves to find the speed of an object at an instant,
- recognize that if the tangent is a horizontal line, then the speed is zero,
- recognize that the greater the slope of the tangent, the greater the instantaneous speed at that point.