Students will be able to
- understand that a rectangle is a quadrilateral with four right angles whose opposite sides are parallel and equal in length,
- calculate the perimeter of a rectangle by adding twice its length to twice its width,
- calculate the area of a rectangle by multiplying its length by its width,
- work backward from the perimeter or area of a rectangle to find a missing side length,
- calculate the length of a diagonal of a rectangle using the Pythagorean theorem,
- solve more-complex problems, such as working out the effect of doubling a rectangle’s length and width on the rectangle’s perimeter and area or constructing and solving a simple algebraic equation for a rectangle given in a word problem or real-world context.