Students will be able to
- find the first derivatives of parametric equations,
- evaluate the first derivatives of parametric equations at a given point,
- find the first derivative of a function with respect to another function,
- evaluate the first derivative of a function with respect to another function at a given point,
- find the equation of a tangent or normal at a point on a curve described by parametric equations.
Students should already be familiar with
- differentiating polynomial, rational, trigonometric, logarithmic, and exponential functions,
- implicit differentiation,
- the chain, product, and quotient rules of differentiation.
Students will not cover
- second or higher derivatives of parametric equations.