Students will be able to
- identify examples of harm to cells that can be produced by nuclear radiation.
- understand that nuclear radiation can cause mutations by changing DNA in cells.
- understand that mutations are transmitted to offspring.
- recognise that a short exposure to nuclear radiation can be very damaging, even fatal, if a sufficient dose is received.
- recognise that a small dose of nuclear radiation can be very damaging, even fatal, if a sufficient exposure time occurs.
- identify rem as a unit of radiation dose.