Students will be able to
- identify the position of the noble gases (group 18) on the periodic table,
- name the elements of the noble gases,
- state and use the electronic configuration of group 18 elements to explain why these elements are unreactive monatomic gases,
- describe and explain the pattern in the physical properties of the noble gases,
- recall the intermolecular forces that exist between atoms in order to explain the trend of boiling points as we move down the group,
- give some applications of noble gases and relate these uses to their physical and chemical properties.