Students will be able to
- define and recognize cavity modes for electromagnetic waves,
- compare graphical representations of radiation spectra corresponding to quantised and continuous distributions of wavelengths of blackbody radiation,
- use the formula to relate the energy, frequency, and number of quanta emitted by a blackbody.
Students should already be familiar with
- representations of amplitude, frequency, and wavelength of electromagnetic waves and the mathematical relationship between frequency and wavelength, ,
- representations of standing waves,
- qualitative representations of Wein’s law, particularly graphs of electromagnetic radiation spectral distribution.
Students will not cover
- calculations using Wein’s law,
- electron energy level transitions,
- particulate qualities of light quanta.