Students will be able to
- describe Mendel’s experiments with pea plants and how they demonstrated the inheritance of dominant and recessive factors,
- relate Mendel’s work to the chromosomal theory of inheritance,
- define the terms gene, allele, homozygous, heterozygous, genotype, and phenotype,
- draw and interpret genetic diagrams to show monohybrid inheritance of alleles,
- calculate expected phenotypic ratios for these crosses,
- use genetic diagrams to determine the probability of offspring inheriting certain alleles and displaying certain phenotypes.