Students will be able to
- explain how the nucleus of an atom is held together by the strong nuclear force,
- describe the strong nuclear force and the important role neutrons play in its stability,
- define and calculate the nuclear binding energy of an atom of an element,
- explain the stability of a nucleus in relation to its ratio of proton to neutrons,
- interpret the stability of an atom of an isotope from graphs showing the band of stability,
- convert between mass and energy using and between atomic mass units (u), kilograms (kg), and electron volts (eV).