Students will be able to
- define the cross product of two vectors as the product of the magnitudes multiplied by the sine of the angle between the vectors,
- calculate the cross product of two vectors in the coordinate plane using their components (i.e., a determinant),
- understand the properties of the cross product in 2D,
- use the geometric meaning of cross product to find lengths or areas.
Students should already be familiar with
- vectors (components and magnitude),
- addition and subtraction of vectors,
- the dot product of 2D vectors.
Students will not cover
- the cross product of 3D vectors.