Students will be able to
- recognize that forces acting on an object can sum to zero or not (can be balanced or unbalanced),
- recognize that for an object in uniform linear motion, individual forces acting on the object can be nonzero, provided each such force is balanced by another appropriate force,
- recognize that if the forces acting on an object are unbalanced, the object must accelerate,
- recognize that if an object accelerates, the forces acting on it cannot be balanced,
- recognize that the velocity of an object does not change if the net force on it is zero.
Students should already be familiar with
- free-body force diagrams.
Students will not cover
- Newton’s third law of motion.