Students will be able to
- list items made from plastic to explain why modern life is crucially dependent upon plastic made from hydrocarbons,
- explain in general terms the production process for plastics from crude oil,
- compare and contrast thermosetting and thermosoftening plastics,
- discuss how some plastics are biodegradable and the other benefits and disadvantages of plastic disposal,
- evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of recycling polymers in order to explain the economic implications and environmental impact.