Students will be able to
- describe the electromotive series,
- combine standard electrode potentials to calculate the standard cell potential,
- deduce the direction of flow of electrons in a galvanic cell,
- compare electrode potentials to determine the strength of an oxidizing or reducing agent,
- analyze standard cell potentials to deduce the feasibility of a reaction,
- calculate cell potentials under nonstandard conditions.
Students should already be familiar with
- how to set up and label parts of a galvanic cell,
- standard electrode potential and standard cell potential.