Students will be able to
- explain how catalysts increase the rate of reaction but are not themselves changed,
- list and describe the characteristics of catalysts,
- describe the biological catalysts known as enzymes,
- describe catalysts as either positive or negative, with the ability to either speed up or slow down a reaction,
- describe an experiment of hydrogen peroxide with manganese dioxide to illustrate the effect of a catalyst on the rate of reaction,
- describe an experiment of hydrogen peroxide with sweet potato to illustrate the effect of enzymes working as biological catalysts,
- give examples of catalysts used in everyday life such as catalytic converters in cars.