Students will be able to
- outline how air enters the body via the nose and how the nose is adapted for this function,
- describe the basic structure of the respiratory system, including the pharynx, larynx, trachea, bronchi, bronchioles and alveoli,
- outline the basic mechanism of inhaling and exhaling and the accompanying changes in the ribs and diaphragm,
- describe the relationship between the circulatory systems and the gaseous exchange system,
- explain how alveoli are adapted for gas exchange, including having large surface area, a moist lining, and a short diffusion pathway to the surrounding capillaries.