Students will be able to
- describe the process of electrolysis using a dc current,
- explain the importance of selecting suitable electrolytes and electrodes for electrolysis to occur,
- explain the movement of ions and electrons during electrolysis,
- predict the products of electrolysis of binary, ionic compounds in the molten state.
Students should already be familiar with
- oxidation and reduction in terms of electron transfer,
- anions and cations in ionic compounds,
- writing balanced symbol equations with state symbols.
Students will not cover
- electrolysis of salt solutions.