Students will be able to
- describe the colors and solubilities of precipitates when is added to various metal cations in aqueous solution (, , , , , , and ),
- describe the colors and solubilities of precipitates when aqueous ammonia is added to various metal cations (, , , , , , and ) in aqueous solution,
- identify which precipitates redissolve when excess or ammonia is added,
- describe the test for the ammonium cation using (no precipitate and pungent ammonia gas is produced),
- identify which metal cations require both the hydroxide and aqueous ammonia test to confirm which metal cation is present,
- write ionic equations for the reaction between metal cations and the hydroxide anion,
- identify an unknown metal ion from the results of the above tests.