Students will be able to
- recall that hydrogen is the main “fuel” used in fusion,
- recall that hydrogen is the most common element in the universe,
- recall that after a while, stars will start to fuse helium and then lithium,
- understand the balanced forces within a star,
- understand that fusion only happens in the core of a star, where the pressure and temperature are great enough,
- understand that fusion in main sequence stars does not produce any element heavier than iron, because to do so would not release energy, but would absorb it,
- understand that heavier elements are only produced in supernovae.