Students will be able to
- identify the position of the halogens (group 17) on the periodic table,
- name the elements of the halogens,
- list the color of diatomic halogen gases in order to deduce the trend in colors as we move down the group,
- describe the trends in physical properties of the halogens and link these properties to the general properties of nonmetals,
- describe trends in reactivity in group 17 in order to predict the likelihood of reactions of halogens in the formation of salts,
- use the electronic configuration of the halogens to explain the trend in reactivity and displacement reactions of group 17 elements,
- make predictions regarding the reactions and properties of less common elements such as astatine.