Students will be able to
- understand and use the fact that the scalar triple product is equivalent to a determinant,
- calculate the scalar triple product of three vectors,
- understand that the absolute value of the scalar triple product between three vectors represents the volume of the parallelepiped spanned by the three vectors,
- apply the properties of the scalar triple product to solve geometrical problems, including proving that vectors are coplanar.
Students should already be familiar with
- the dot product in space,
- the cross product in space,
Students will not cover
- vectors’ triple product,
- vectors represented in a column matrix.