Students will be able to
- outline the primary function of muscles in the human body,
- describe the macroscopic structure of muscle and the function of the components, including muscle bundles, muscle fibers, and the perimysium,
- describe the microscopic structure of skeletal muscle and the function of the components, including muscle fibers, myofibrils, the sarcoplasm, the sarcolemma, and myofilaments,
- recall that myofibrils are formed from myofilaments and that these myofilaments are largely composed of actin or myosin proteins,
- identify the components of a sarcomere, including the I bands, Z lines, A band, and H zone,
- compare striated and unstriated muscle fibers.