Students will be able to
- state that some diseases are caused by a malfunction of endocrine glands,
- state that, in diabetes, the pancreas stops secreting insulin,
- outline that a lack of iodine in diet can decrease thyroxine levels and cause a simple goitre and that excessive thyroxine secretion can produce an exophthalmic goitre, anxiety, and weight loss,
- state that the lack of GH causes dwarfism and its excess causes gigantism,
- state that children with dwarfism are treated with injections of growth hormone and outline the source of growth hormone,
- state the role of genetic engineering in producing a sufficient amount of microbe-free human growth hormone for treating dwarfism.