Students will be able to
- define the solubility of a substance and understand the difference between a saturated and an unsaturated solution,
- recall the general rules for the solubility of common substances in water,
- explain how the solubility of solids and gases varies with heat,
- explain how solvent, pH, particle size, and stirring affect solubility in terms of interactions and acid–base reactions,
- define precipitate and predict whether one will form when two solutions are mixed together,
- understand and interpret solubility graphs and make predictions using them,
- calculate the solubility of a substance from the masses of the solid and water.