Students will be able to
- describe positive and negative ions and explain the difference between them,
- identify and write the notation to indicate ions and their charges,
- state how metal atoms lose electrons to form positive ions,
- state how nonmetal atoms gain electrons to form negative ions,
- draw or write the electronic configurations of ions,
- identify ions and their charge from electronic configurations,
- describe the number of electrons an atom needs to gain or lose to form a full outer level.