Students will be able to
- know that, for an ideal gas at constant volume, the pressure, , of the gas is proportional to the temperature, ,
- use , where is a constant, to determine the pressure or temperature of a gas before or after a thermodynamic process that keeps the volume constant.
Students should already be familiar with
- states of matter,
- the idea that substances are made up of particles,
- the Kelvin temperature scale.
Students will not cover
- Boyle’s Law,
- Charles’ Law,
- the ideal gas law,
- the kinetic theory of gases,
- internal energy,
- phase changes.