Students will be able to
- state the word and symbol equations for anaerobic respiration (lactic acid fermentation) in animal cells and some bacteria as glucose lactic acid (),
- compare the processes of aerobic and anaerobic respiration in terms of products formed, need for oxygen, and relative amounts of energy transferred,
- state the word and symbol equations for anaerobic respiration in yeast and plant cells as glucose ethanol + carbon dioxide (),
- outline the uses of anaerobic respiration (alcoholic fermentation) in yeast to manufacture bread and alcohol,
- describe a simple experiment to demonstrate anaerobic respiration in yeast.