Students will be able to
- describe the acidity of carboxylic acids through the reaction with metals and hydrogen carbonates,
- describe the reactants, catalysts, and reaction conditions for the reaction of carboxylic acids with alcohols,
- describe the reactants, catalysts, and reaction conditions for the reduction of carboxylic acids to form alcohols,
- describe the acidity and esterification of aromatic carboxylic acids, with a focus on benzoic acid,
- predict the products of the above reactions given the reactants and vice versa.