Students will be able to
- use knowledge of the periodic table to locate the position of the d block and the transition metals,
- describe the general physical properties of common transition metals in order to compare the properties to other metals in groups 1 and 2,
- give examples of common colored ions or compounds formed from transition metal elements,
- deduce the oxidation state of transition metals to correctly write the correct formula for different d-block compounds,
- give examples of common uses of transition metals including common catalysts used in industry.