Students will be able to
- describe the microscopic structure of the pancreas and identify the pancreatic acini and the alpha and beta islets of Langerhan cells,
- explain why the pancreas is considered a mixed gland,
- recall that the exocrine secretions of the pancreas are the pancreatic juices containing enzymes secreted from the acini into the small intestine via the pancreatic duct,
- recall that the endocrine secretions of the pancreas are the hormones insulin and glucagon, secreted from the beta and alpha islets of Langerhan cells,
- state the effect of the hormones insulin and glucagon on the body, with reference to blood glucose concentrations.