Students will be able to
- use reported speech to talk about what someone has said,
- understand how to change direct speech to reported questions by
- backshifting verbs from present tense to past tense (e.g., eat ate, is eating was eating, has eaten had eaten) and from past tense to past perfect tense (e.g., ate had eaten),
- using that between the reporting verb (said) and the reported speech,
- changing pronouns from first (or second) person to third person (e.g., “I like dogs,” said Maged. Maged said that he liked dogs),
- changing time references (e.g., today that day, now then, yesterday the day before),
- use a range of reporting verbs.