Students will be able to
- recall the equation for the discriminant of a quadratic equation,
- use the discriminant to identify the number of real roots a quadratic equation has,
- use the discriminant to determine whether a quadratic equation has rational roots,
- Use the discriminant to evaluate unknowns that satisfy certain conditions related to the types of roots.
Students should already be familiar with
- solving quadratic equations using the quadratic formula.
Students will not cover
- solving quadratic equations with complex roots.