Students will be able to
- recognize and recall the Pythagorean identities for the trigonometric functions
- understand how to find the value of a trigonometric ratio given the value of another, using the Pythagorean identities, in each of the four quadrants;
- use the Pythagorean identities in combination with other identities to simplify and evaluate trigonometric expressions.
Students should already be familiar with
- reciprocal trigonometric identities,
- periodicity of trigonometric functions and trigonometric equivalences,
- cofunction identities.
Students will not cover
- double- or half-angle identities,
- sum and difference formulas.