Students will be able to
- explain the physical properties of nitric acid,
- explain the chemical properties of nitric acid, for example, its thermal decomposition and its role as an oxidizing agent,
- describe the preparation of nitric acid from nitrate salts and acid,
- describe the reactions of nitric acid with metals and predict whether a reaction will occur and what products are formed,
- describe the test for the nitrate ion and distinguish between the nitrate and nitrite anion,
- give examples and describe the industrial and commercial uses of nitric acid.