Students will be able to
- understand the difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision,
- understand the definition of a perfectly inelastic collision,
- solve problems involving elastic collisions of two bodies,
- solve problems involving perfectly inelastic collisions (two bodies coalescing into one body).
Students should already be familiar with
- conservation of momentum,
- potential energy,
- kinetic energy.
Students will not cover
- coefficient of restitution,
- problems involving a collision of more than two bodies simultaneously.