Students will be able to
- describe an electromagnetic wave as a transverse wave consisting of perpendicular electric fields and magnetic fields that vary with the same period and are in phase,
- recognize that an electromagnetic wave is produced by an oscillation of an electric field or of a magnetic field,
- recognize that an oscillation of an electric field is necessarily accompanied by an oscillation of a magnetic field and vice versa,
- recognize that neither a constant current nor a uniformly moving magnet produce electromagnetic waves,
- recognize that electromagnetic waves are produced by the oscillations of sources of static electric and magnetic fields,
- recall that the speed of electromagnetic waves is determined by the electric permittivity and magnetic permeability of the medium the waves propagate in and .