Students will be able to
- recall how to calculate a single arithmetic mean between two numbers,
- understand that the terms between two nonconsecutive terms in an arithmetic sequence are known as “arithmetic means,”
- calculate arithmetic means inserted between two arbitrary numbers and solve related problems,
- solve problems related to the number of arithmetic means inserted between two numbers when given
- the difference between two consecutive means,
- the difference between any two numbered means,
- the value of a numbered mean,
- the sum of numbered means,
- the ratio between two numbered means,
- the ratio between two sums of numbered means.
Students should already be familiar with
- arithmetic sequences.
Students will not cover
- geometric means,
- the sum of a finite arithmetic sequence.