Lesson: The Life Cycle and Recycling of Materials Chemistry
In this lesson, we will learn how to interpret life cycle assessments for materials and products, and examine the advantages and disadvantages of recycling.
Which of the following points are advantages of recycling petroleum-based plastics?
- Natural sources of crude oil are conserved.
- Energy is required to recycle plastic during melting and reshaping.
- Plastics come in many types and forms and require sorting before recycling.
- The quality of the plastic is reduced each time it is recycled.
- Reduced amounts of waste are sent to landfill.
It is considered better to recycle steel car parts rather than reuse them or send them to landfill.
Which of the following does not explain why this is the case?
An entertainment company is deciding whether to produce plastic or cardboard plates for children’s parties.
Which of the following is a reason to choose to manufacture cardboard plates?