Students will be able to
- understand that every mass in the universe is attracted to every other mass,
- understand that this attraction can be modeled as a force that acts on the center of mass of an object, and that for two massive objects, the force on each points along the line intersecting their centers of mass,
- use to calculate the gravitational force experienced by two objects.
Students should already be familiar with
- what gravity is,
- what the difference between mass and weight is,
- how to use to find the weight of an object given its mass and the local gravitational field strength,
- Newton’s laws of motion.
Students will not cover
- surface gravity on large objects,
- the gravitational field strength within large objects,
- gravitational potential energy,
- escape speed.