Students will be able to
- define a magnet as an object that attracts certain kinds of metal,
- understand that magnetic forces can act at a distance and understand the term noncontact force,
- identify a magnetic field as the space in which the force of a magnet acts,
- recognize that magnets have two opposite ends called north and south poles,
- understand that magnets can attract or repel each other,
- predict whether two magnets will attract or repel each other, depending on which poles are facing each other.