Students will be able to
- define and describe the enthalpy of fusion, solidification, vaporization, and condensation and the relationship between them,
- identify the location of the enthalpy of fusion and vaporization from heating curves or tabulated data,
- define the enthalpy of solution and explain that dissolution results in a change in enthalpy,
- relate enthalpy of dilution to the difference between two enthalpies of solution with differing quantities of solvent,
- define and describe the enthalpy of combustion,
- define and describe the enthalpy of formation and how it relates to a compound’s stability,
- use the standard enthalpies of formation to calculate change in enthalpy for a reaction.