Students will be able to
- define electron affinity and write chemical equations to show the process,
- explain the values for first electron affinities as being positive as energy is released,
- explain why values for second electron affinities are usually negative as energy is needed,
- describe and explain the trend in electron affinity when descending groups in the periodic table,
- describe and explain trends in electron affinity across periods in the periodic table,
- describe and explain exceptions or anomalies in trends seen throughout the periodic table,
- predict the relative electron affinity of an element based on its position in the periodic table and neighboring elements.