Students will be able to
- describe the reactants, catalysts, and reaction conditions for the hydrogenation and halogenation of alkenes,
- describe the test for alkenes using bromine water and, to a lesser extent, Baeyer’s test,
- define Markovnikov’s rule and use it to predict the products of addition reactions of alkenes,
- describe the reactants and reaction conditions for the addition of hydrogen halides to alkenes,
- describe the reactants, catalysts, and reaction conditions for the direct and indirect hydration of alkenes to form alcohols,
- predict the products of the addition reactions of alkenes stated above.