Students will be able to
- describe hydrogen bonding and explain how it forms,
- compare the strength of hydrogen bonding with other intermolecular forces and covalent bonding,
- rationalize the differences in boiling points between , , and and when compared with other hydrides in their groups,
- describe how hydrogen bonding affects the physical properties of molecular systems,
- give examples of molecular systems where hydrogen bonding is prevalent (e.g., hydration of anions, proteins, and alcohols) and explain the role hydrogen bonding plays in these systems,
- draw or interpret diagrams and display formulas showing hydrogen bonding.