Students will be able to
- describe the carboxylic acid functional group in order to identify and name simple carboxylic acids,
- convert between the names, the molecular formulas, and the displayed formulas of different carboxylic acids,
- list uses and sources of common carboxylic acids,
- write chemical equations involving carboxylic acids reacting with alcohols, metals, carbonates, and alkalis,
- describe the acidic nature of carboxylic acids in order to assign the correct pH range to a carboxylic acid.