Students will be able to
- understand how the second derivative of a function relates to its concavity and how to apply the second derivative test,
- find the intervals over which a function is concave upward or concave downward,
- understand the relationship between inflection points and concavity,
- find the inflection points of a function.
Students should already be familiar with
- finding critical points,
- the concept of continuity (not necessarily the formal definition).
Students will not cover
- analysis in cases where the second derivative does not exist.